Allentown Seminary opened in 1848. The school became known as the Allentown Collegiate Institute and Military Academy in 1864. In 1867, the Lutheran Church took over the Institute, and renamed it Muhlenberg College. Muhlenberg’s original course of study focused on Latin, Greek, and German. Eventually, thanks in part to a gift from Asa Packer, Muhlenberg also offered courses in natural science. Many Muhlenberg graduates went on to become ministers, but others became teachers, writers, and editors.